Matías Zañartu, Ph.D.
Assistant Professor – Department of Electronic Engineering
Principal Investigator – AC3E Research Center
Lab Director – Voice Production Laboratory
Universidad Técnica Federico Santa María
Av. España 1680, Of. B.402
Valparaiso, Chile, 2390123.
Phone: +56 32 265 2612
Fax: +56 32 2797469
Email: matias DOT zanartu AT usm DOT cl
Scopus Author ID: 15838299100
PubMed MyBibliography : link
I have been always attracted by areas of knowledge that intersect more than one traditional discipline. My interests are centered on the development of digital signal processing, system modeling, and biomedical engineering tools that involve speech, audio, and acoustics. My recent research efforts have revolved around developing quantitative models that describe nonlinear effects in human speech production, and applying these physiological descriptions for the development of communication and clinical technologies. I have a BS degree in Acoustical Engineering, and MS and PhD degrees in Electrical and Computer Engineering.
- Aug-17: In his column at the Mercurio de Valparaiso, the President of CONICYT features Dr. Zañartu link1- link2
- May-17: CONICYT-FONDEQUIP website features an interview with Prof. Zañartu (link)
- Apr-17: Dr. Zañartu gives a talk on the “World Voice Day” event at Universidad de Valparaiso
- Apr-17: Electronic newspaper “El Mostrador” features comprehensive interview with Prof. Zañartu (link)
- Apr-17: Newspaper “El Mercurio de Valparaiso” released an article about our role in the NIH P50 grant (link)
- Mar-17: National news coverage regarding the NIH P50 project!! (LUN & Segunda)
- Mar-17: It’s official: Our NIH P50 proposal was funded!! (link1 & link2)
- Mar-17: Prof. Zañartu gives a talk at Universidad Austral, Valdivia, Chile (link)
- Feb-17: Prof. Zañartu visits Purdue University to foster research and exchange opportunities with USM (link)
- Apr-16: Our biomedical systems group at AC3E was featured in a science TV show on National TV (TVN) link
- Dic-16: The viscous contact paper was accepted to Biomechanics and Modeling in Mechanobiology (link). Bravo, Sean Peterson!
- Oct-16: Our lab was featured in National Newspaper Diario La Tercera link
- Sept-16: USM was ranked by Times Higher Education as the best Chilean University and the third in Latin America link1 – link2
- Sept-16: Our research was featured on National TV (C13C) link1 – link2
- Aug-16: Our VPLab (link) is in the local news link
- Jul-16: News release at ingenium on our recent efforts in voice research here
- Apr-16: The JASA paper on time-varying Bayesian estimation of vocal fold models was accepted for publication (April, 2016). Congratulations, Gabriel!
- Apr-16: Prof. Zañartu is on the national news (TVN) introducing the AC3E research group (video)
- Apr-16: Our AC3E center and our VPLab was featured in the newspaper “El Mercurio” link
- Apr-16: Dr. Zañartu gives a talk on the “World Voice Day” event at Universidad de Valparaiso link
- Mar-16: Our EE PhD program received the outstanding AUIP award among Ibero-American Universities, and it is the first graduate program in Chile to receive this honor link1 link2
- Mar-16: The 10th International Conference on Voice Physiology and Biomechanics was a great success! See papers and pictures here.
- Mar-16: The ICVPB conference is on the local news (link1 and link2) and in the newspaper Mercurio de Valparaiso, March 2016 (link)
- Feb-16: The 10th International Conference on Voice Physiology and Biomechanics
(ICVPB 2016) is around the corner (March 14 – 17, 2016). More than 130 participants from all over the world are already registered! See press release here.
- Jan-16: Our Department was ranked #1 in the country by QS world ranking (link)
- Jan-16: Plos ONE paper with Doug Cook is out! link
- Dic-15: Prof. Zañartu gives a talk at the Fonk museum in Viña del Mar, December 11 2015. link
- Nov-15: Prof. Zañartu is interviewed by the LUN newspaper on the effects of auditory feedback on voice production link
- Oct-15: The deadline for abstract submission for ICVPB 2016 is on Friday, Oct 16 2015 (link)
- Prof. Zañartu participates in a large grant application with MGH, BU, MIT, and USM to create a center for vocal hyperfunction, via the NIH P50 program (link)
- ICVPB is in the USM news link
- ICVPB conference website is available now! link
- Our laryngeal HSV system and lab was featured in the USM news (link)
- Former MS student, Andrés Llico moves to BU to work with Cara Stepp. Congrats!
- PhD student Victor Espinoza, spends a summer at the MGH voice center working on his dissertation.
- Prof. Zañartu joins the FONDECYT Study Group in Electrical Engineering and Computer Science (known as Engineering 2) from CONICYT
- Our Llico et al JASA EL paper is out! pdf
- The new book on HSV with our chapter on simultaneous airflow recording is now available in amazon. Normal and Abnormal Vocal Folds Kinematics: High Speed Digital Phonoscopy (HSDP), Optical Coherence Tomography (OCT) & Narrow Band Imaging (NBI®), Volume I: Technology (Volume 1). Nice!
- Our Llico et al JASA EL paper on real-time estimation of aerodynamic features for ambulatory voice biofeedback was accepted!
- Prof. Zañartu gives a keynote talk at AQL2015 – Link
- Experts from MIT, MGH, BU, Waterloo, Clarkson, USM, and UV meet in Puerto Varas in the context of an MIT-USM grant link
- PhD student Gabriel Galindo spends three months at the University of Waterloo working with Prof. Sean Peterson on Bayesian parameter estimation for vocal fold models.
- UCL Ear institue visits USM for workshop on Cochlear Implant research link
- VPLab visits MIT and Harvard/MGH link
- The Advanced Center for Electrical and Electronic Engineering has started! link
- Our STICAMSUD group meeting took place in Valparaiso on August 6-7. Visitors included Jorge Lucero, Xavier Pelorson, Denisse Sciamarella, and Guillermo Artana. See group picture here.
- Andrés Llico, MS, (research assistant in our lab) received an award for outstanding academic record. Congrats, Andrés! link
- Our Ghassemi et al. paper was a featured article for June IEEE TBME monthly highlights. (link)
- Check out this cool animation illustrating our Ghassemi et al. paper (link - pdf) for the IEEE TBME monthly highlights website. Many thanks to Daryush Mehta for this awesome figure!
- Our Ghassemi et al. paper (link - pdf) was selected as featured article for June IEEE TBME monthly highlights. Nice!
- MIT-UTFSM meeting is on the local news link
- The laryngeal high-speed video projects is on the local news link
- Our grant application for the Advanced Center for Electrical and Electronic Engineering (AC3E) center was awarded! link
- Ghassemi et al. IEEE TBME on machine learning to detect vocal hyperfunction paper accepted!
- Our MIT-UTFSM grant application on measures of ambulatory voice quality and dysphonia was awarded!
- Our FONDEQUIP grant application to purchase a high-end laryngeal high-speed video was awarded! link
- Our joint work with Prof. Hillman on ambulatory voice monitoring is featured in NIH Medline Plus link
- Doctoral students Espinoza and Galindo presented their research at the Sticamsud voice meeting in Buenos Aires. link
- The voice monitoring project is on the USM news: link
- MS student Andrés Llico discusses his research in an interview for the USM radio: audio
- Profs. Peterson and Erath visit USM. More info about their talks here.
- My 10-minute Interview in Tecnociencia Canal 13C is out! (link)
- Tecnociencia visited our lab. Official news and video to be posted soon. (pic)
- Zañartu et. al 2013 IEEE TASLP on Subglottal IBIF accepted for publication (March-14-2013)
- Two Zañartu et. al and one Erath et. al papers accepted for the ICA 2013 (March-12-2013)
- Erath et al. review paper of lumped mass models is now available (link)
- Sommer et al. JASA EL paper on glottal area discontinuities was accepted for publication (Jan-22-2013) pdf
- Article on the talks from Prof. Guttag (MIT), Prof. Hillman (Harvard-MIT/MGH), and Dr. Mehta (Harvard/MGH), Jan 2013. (link)
- Workshop on ambulatory monitoring of vocal function with Prof. Guttag (MIT), Prof. Hillman (Harvard-MIT/MGH), and Dr. Mehta (Harvard/MGH), Jan 2013. (pic)
- Prof. Guttag (MIT), Prof. Hillman (Harvard-MIT/MGH), and Dr. Mehta (Harvard/MGH) will give a seminar on Clinical Voice Analysis at UTFSM on Jan-10-2013 (link)
- Prof. Ingo Titze visited our lab at USM, Oct 2013. (link)
- Dr. Zañartu presented the IBIF algorithm at the first Ibero-American Voice Conference in Santiago (link)
- Students Llico and Díaz presented their work at the JCIB 2012 in Viña del Mar (link)
- Sommer et al. paper published (link - pdf)
- Mehta et al. IEEE TBME paper on voice health monitor accepted for publication!
- USM ranked #1 in Electrical and Computer Engineering in South America by Microsoft Academic. (link)
- Dr. Zañartu presented the IBIF algorithm at the ICVPB in July (link)
- Dr. Erath presented our new acoustic model at the ASME-BED 2012, in Puerto Rico in June
- Sommer et al. JASA EL paper accepted! Soon to appear…
- Mehta et al. Interspeech 2012 paper accepted!
- MIT-Chile project takes off! First visit to Boston was in May (link)
- MIT-Chle Seed fund awarded! (link)
- Our invited paper in the ASA meeting in San Diego is in the news (link)